Monday, August 24, 2015

Inspirational Monday: Favorite Pencil Sharpeners

I work a lot with Prismacolor pencils while creating my coloring book pages. I am often asked what pencil sharpeners I prefer.
At home I used to use my Panasonic desk model (on the far right) it still works just fine but only has one setting for the pencil width it will sharpen.

When looking to upgrade I checked to see what Paula Pertile was using. She is a fabulous artist that specializes in fun realistic stuff, like cookies and candies you want to eat off the page! My favorite are Cat Portraits that remind us of the characters from Downton Abby! All colored pencil...check her out.

Paula recommended the Bostitch Super Pro 6. It sharpens to an amazing point and has many settings for pencil sizes. It's quite the machine for someone that does a lot of sharpening. The fan cooled motor is powerful and fast. You can do a whole tin of Prismacolor pencils in minutes. It's $60 on Amazon.

When it comes to a travel size, I like the Prismacolor Premier Sharpener. It sharpens to a nice point and takes two widths of pencil. It's about $5 available at many art and craft stores.

As a matter of fact I have one for home and one for travel. You may have noticed the electric pencil sharpeners eat up your pencils rather quickly. At about $1 a piece, sometime I use the hand held sharper to conserve my pencil.

I used to collect cute sharpeners before I discovered not all sharpeners are created equal. I have got rid of most of them except for the adorable green caterpillar (pictured above) that also squeaks when squeezed!
 
This review was inspired by two of my friends I partied with this weekend. I met them as students at RISD Children's illustration certificate program. Both talented ladies excelled in cut paper illustration.

Susan Novich, our party hostest (middle) has a line of rugs and cards in her cut paper style, check out her site.

Myra Adleman is working with kids and will soon have a location on line where we can see her art.

#MsMoffatt  #ColoringBooks  #AdultColoring #JudithMoffatt #Mandalas #MerryMandalas #MandalaMonday #MeditativeMandalas 

2 comments:

  1. It was great to see you at Susan's party and learn more about your new line of adult coloring books. Thanks for the information on pencil sharpeners as I have been looking for one that can handle colored pencils. A suggestion to help prevent wax buildup is to sharpen a graphite pencil after sharpening every few colored pencils. It removes the residue. Myra

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to see you at Susan's party and learn more about your new line of adult coloring books. Thanks for the information on pencil sharpeners as I have been looking for one that can handle colored pencils. A suggestion to help prevent buildup is to sharpen a graphite pencil after sharpening every few colored pencils. It removes the residue. Myra

    ReplyDelete